Monday, May 13, 2013

How to Pray for your Boyfriend


I believe in the power of prayer, and I think that praying for the people we love is so important, in our spiritual walk as well as those that we pray for. I feel so loved when someone prays for me, prays over me, or just shoots me a text or e-mail letting me know they are praying for me.

I've noticed that there are a lot of "How to Pray" guides. How to pray for your future husband, how to pray for your husband, etc. But something that is near to my heart is praying for my boyfriend. I want to talk to you girls who aren't quite single, but you aren't married either. You girls who are dating a man seriously, can see yourself marrying him someday, but just aren't to that season yet.

I pray for Ronnie often, and though the specifics I pray for him about differ depending on what is going on in His and our life, I have found that I mostly pray for his walk with the Lord, I pray for his leadership, I pray for his obedience, and I pray for him to stand against temptations of the world. I also pray that I would demonstrate Christ's love to Him, that I would offer him grace, and that I would display the fruits of the spirit to Him. I pray that He feels respected and honored as a man and the leader of our relationship.

If you are wondering how to pray for your boyfriend, I would recommend praying for these things:

1. Pray for your boyfriend's walk with the Lord. Pray that the Lord is pursuing His heart, that your boyfriend is staying close to His loving voice, pray that He is desiring growth in his relationship and pursues closeness with the Lord. Remember the the Bible tells us to not be unequally yoked, which means to not be on the same level spiritually as the person you are dating.

2. Pray for his leadership qualities. Although you may not be married yet, pray that the Lord is growing your boyfriend in this area. Christ said that the husband is the head of the wife, and therefore will lead your family. He should be your spiritual leader one day when you two are married, one who you trust and respect. Pray for him to lead you well, to follow Christ in wherever He may call you as a couple. Pray that he learns what it means to be a Godly leader before you two are married so he can lead you in the way Christ would desire when you are married.

3.Pray for obedience. Sometimes God asks us to do hard things. Sometimes God calls us into something we never planned for ourselves. I encourage you to pray for your boyfriend to have an obedient heart, to listen when God speaks, to move when God calls him to move. No matter what God asks of us, whether its big or small, pray that your boyfriend is willing to follow Christ first and foremost.

4.Pray for strength against temptations. Pray that he can be a man who doesn't fall for what the world says is okay, but for what God's word says. We live in a broken, fallen world where we are constantly tempted by sin. Jesus was tempted, although He never sinned. As humans, we aren't perfect, and we need to be praying for protection and a sound mind and heart against sin. Pray that your man lives a life to glorify and please Christ.

The way I pray for Ronnie has changed throughout our time we've been dating, as has the way we pray together as a couple. I want to encourage you if you don't pray for your boyfriend to try it out. You don't have to pray for him out loud in his presence, in fact, 9 times of out 10, I don't pray for Ronnie when I am actually with him. I typically pray for him at night before I go to bed, or in the mornings when I do my devotionals and quiet time.

You can tell your boyfriend you're praying for him if you want, and if you're comfortable, you can ask him how you can be praying for him. If you aren't comfortable sharing that yet, that is okay. God hears your prayers, and prayer changes more than just the person you are praying for. Try it out.

If you pray for your boyfriend, what do you pray for? If you're married or engaged, tell me about how your prayers have changed from when you were dating. 

7 comments:

  1. YES!! I wrote a very similar post to this last Summer (our #2s are almost exactly the same!!) and I think it's so important for those gals in a dating relationship to be praying for their man!! I love that you've encouraged us with this. The thing that I've seen that has changed the most is that I pray much more personal things. I am with him day in and day out and our relationship is much more intimate and so I know more specific things to pray for. So glad you shared this girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Came across your blog from the 'Blog Every Day in May' Challenge and I had to comment on this post. Although I am still very much single someday (ideally soon!) when I do have a boyfriend this is exactly the types of things I want to be able to pray for him. Looking forward to reading more of your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this girl, I need to be reminded of this constantly. I let business and being tired get in the way of my prayer life. Your heart is beautifullll

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found your blog through Pinterest. I searched 'pray for your boyfriend', because there is so many 'pray for your husband' posts out there (which is great) but we shouldn't wait until we're married to start praying for them! This is such a great post, spot on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This has been a blessing! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! I'm stopping over from Life of the Lane blog. I love this post! I'm married, and my husband and I pray together every night. But I also think it's important that I pray for him daily on my own. Recently I had a lightbulb moment about some things I need to be praying for and focusing on, and I've seen a chance just in a short time. I love that you're sharing your heart on this topic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so blessed i feel encouraged and i have realized that i should not give up on praying for my boyfriend who i believe by Gods grace will be my husband next year i look forward to reading more from your blog and getting inspired the more.You are so blessed lots of love from Kenya.xoxo

    ReplyDelete